The Gogo Business Aviation Manufacturing & Supply Chain Quality Engineer is part of the Quality team working cohesively with multiple cross functional internal departments, including Production, Supply Chain, and Engineering, as well as with external suppliers. In this hands-on position, you will have a foundation in printed circuit board assembly methods, troubleshooting, and process optimization, as well as practical experience in sheet metal fabrication, and cable harness assembly. This technical background will enable you to be successful in handling multiple projects from new product development materials quality to sustaining materials quality. This role supports all supplier management and quality key initiatives and implementation of a focused continual improvement strategy for areas of responsibility. The role is key in ensuring that outsourced materials and sub-assemblies meet the defined specifications, quality standards, and regulatory requirements. We are looking for a self-starter that will work well under limited supervision, someone who thrives in a collaborative culture with a diverse group of people, and someone who is passionate about quality!
COME ON BOARD THE QUALITY TEAM!
How will you make a difference?
- Gathers and translates engineering defined product requirements into manufacturing methods and processes for suppliers. Assures products produced by suppliers conform to established requirements and standards through appropriate vendor audit, inspection, and test activities.
- Supports the Gogo Supply Chain Team in evaluating supplier quality process and performance capabilities in alignment with Gogo requirements and compliance to requirements defined in AS9100, ensuring that suppliers have the necessary information and facilities to consistently deliver products meeting design requirements on time to Gogo. As needed, the candidate will assist with conducting First Article Inspections and/or Conformity Inspections.
- Resolves manufacturing and quality issues by facilitating interaction between suppliers and various internal departments and identifying and applying solutions from acquired technical expertise as a result of previous work history as a manufacturing and/or process development engineer in printed circuit board assembly, sheet metal fabrication, and/or cable harness assembly.
- Maintains supplier monthly performance key performance indicators (KPIs); analyzes and reviews trending data; and actively engages suppliers in identification of true root cause(s) and corrective action(s).
- Bachelor of Science or higher degree in mechanical and/or electrical engineering.
- 7 – 10 years’ work experience directly responsible for process, product, or manufacturing quality engineering.
- Ability to travel up to 20%. Domestic and international.
Required Skills, Experience and Talents
- Has basic practical experience with good manufacturing practice (GMP) and methods in mechanical and electronic manufacturing environments. Must have effective demonstration of hands on experience in engineering design, manufacturing, and process capability analysis, including the ability to effectively evaluate, understand, and communicate impacts due to changes in process, engineering requirements, and supplier limitations. This includes demonstrated experience with manufacturing methods and practices related to Surface Mount Technology (SMT), related supporting functions in accordance with IPC-A-610, manufacturing methods and practices related to machining, sheet metal fabrication, and special process welding and finishing.
- Experience working in a company that has implemented and maintains a certified ISO 9001 and / or AS9100 Quality Management System. Must possess a basic understanding of the standards and be able to apply them on a practical level and be able to identify and interpret effective implementation at each supplier, as applicable.
- Practical knowledge and ability to interpret geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T). Proficient in interpreting engineering drawings to ANSI Y 14.5. Proficient with geometry and trigonometry (machine shop math).
- Ability to work and communicate collaboratively, effectively, and expressively with all cross functional departments to develop a team atmosphere and arrive at a mutually beneficial agreed path forward for all issues.
- Strong attention to detail, follow through, and task organizational skills with focus to deliver against deadlines.
- Self-driven and enthusiastic to achieve defined goals and metrics, requiring minimal supervision.
- Proficient computer skills with office software applications and a proven ability to use basic data analysis tools.
- Effective teamwork, interpersonal, and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Professional appearance, team friendly, and approachable, as well as a sense of humor.
Preferred Skills, Experience and Talents
- American Society of Quality (ASQ) Certified Quality Engineer certification.
- AS9100 Certified lead auditor qualification.
- Experience with NADCAP, Counterfeit Mitigation and Prevention, IPC-A-610, IPC/WHMA-A-620, industry material specifications, special process specifications.
- Understands basic metrology tools and inspection methods. Able to evaluate suitability of supplier implemented inspection plans.
- Proficient in practical understanding and application of risk analysis techniques including Design Failure Modes & Effects Analysis (DFMEA) and Process Failure Modes & Effects Analysis (PFMEA), and demonstrated practical experience in effectively leading others through structured problem solving exercises.