Supplier Development Engineer (SQE), MCI / New Flyer Industries, Inc.
The Supplier Development Engineer (SDE) is responsible for improving Supplier Quality to a new quality standard; this includes, New Coach Launches, Major Projects, Supplier Resourcing and mostly current production. SDE will support Operations, Quality, Engineering, Strategic Sourcing/Commodity Management, and Advanced Purchasing in initiatives to take Supplier Quality to a new level. Position oversees major supplier quality issues and assists MCI Operations in problem resolution as required. Frequent supplier site assessments and quality reviews involve about 80% travel for this role.
- Ensure Suppliers meet the highest quality standards that result in a competitive advantage to Motor Coach Industries (MFI) and New Flyer (NFI).
· Own Supplier Development Initiative processes fixing and/or eliminating Suppliers causing Operations the greatest problems. This will be accomplished through systematic, data driven processes that ensures corrective actions are in place through documented Supplier Quality Improvement Plans. Success will be measured by improved Supplier Quality and Delivery Performance Metrics.
· Provide assistance/training to Suppliers in order to meet and/or exceed quality and delivery expectations.
· Help maximize Design for Manufacturability by leveraging Supplier knowledge and capabilities through early Supplier involvement in product design.
· Ensure that the Supplier Development organization is supporting company’s new product launch activities by utilizing a common Supplier quality launch processes that includes, but is not restricted to: Supplier Manual guidelines, Site Assessments, Supplier Audits, Risk Management, APQP, Work Instructions, PFMEA, Control Plans, 8D, Early Production Containment, PPAP/FAI, Run at Rate, etc. Provide leadership for developing these skills throughout the supply base.
· Lead the coordination and setting of standards for sample inspection, and testing of received components and materials to help determine conformance to standards.
· Oversee periodic and special surveys of Sub-Tier Supplier facilities and manufacturing processes to determine adequacy and capability of quality systems and ability to comply with quality specifications; including all levels of Sub-Tier Suppliers.
· Through frequent communication, help drive consistency of quality metrics throughout Motor Coach Industry and New Flyer locations.
- Visit potential new Suppliers to assess their quality systems and visit problematic Suppliers to resolve quality issues and improve systems.
Educational / Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or similar technical degree required;
· 5 – 10 years’ experience in Supplier Development or related discipline in the Automotive, Agricultural or Heavy Equipment Industry required;
· Any ASQ Certification (CQE, CQA, CMQ/OE, CRE, etc.) is desirable;
· Six Sigma Green/Black Belt and Problem Solving experience a plus;
Additional Skills / Abilities:
- Strong manufacturing, process, quality systems and root cause analysis/countermeasure experience required – best if dealing with suppliers directly.
- Demonstrated experience in problem solving (8-D Methodology) in manufacturing processes with emphasis on Six Sigma (DMAIC) methods.
- Knowledgeable and hands on experience in application of Lean and Six Sigma (or alternative advanced problem solving methods) including: Value Stream Mapping, Cpk/Ppk, GR&R, SPC, Control Plans Sampling Plans, Kaizen, 5S, Statistical Analysis, SMED, 5 Why’s, Root Cause Analysis, 8D, QFD, Error Proofing, FMEA, Cause and Effect Diagrams, Pareto Analysis, etc.
- Solid interpersonal communication skills needed to communicate to all levels. Frequent meetings with Company Executives and VPs.
- Demonstrated technical experience and commodity expertise in: metal fabrication (stamping, machining, welding, etc.), electronics, vehicle interiors and Assembly processes in general.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
MCI offers excellent salary and a world-class benefits package which includes: Medical, dental, vision insurances; 401k with company match program; paid vacation/holidays and much more.
Pre-employment drug test and background screen required.
To apply for this opportunity please click or copy and paste the following link into your browser address: